Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Service & Safcrifice

Dave and I took on a service project that has left me exhausted and sad! I asked him the other night, "I thought they always say when you are in the service of others you are in the service of your Lord"...boy howdy it hasn't felt that way! My cousins were living with their dad who was evicted from his place because of all my cousins (atleast that's what he says, you never can believe what you hear) the cops were called on them 11 times. Well we decided to step in and help them get into a place and get situated, hoping this would make a difference and be the jump start they need to get their lives back on track. While it's been rewarding to see them finally care about something and get excited, since they come from a hard life, it's also been very trying. I mean these kids have the types of stories you watch on TV and think who in the world goes through this. They were raised on the south side of Tucson...need I say more. I feel like I am watching an episode of locked up when I am with them, but unfortunately that is their normal in a sense. From an early age they had to be fighters to survive their surroundings. They keep telling me their parents did all that they could, finally I called BS on them because doing all they could would be getting out of the flippen ghetto and taking responsibility for all the kids THEY brought into this world. I would never let Kaleigh grow up like that. Despite that I hope that this will show them that their is someone who cares about them, and that they don't need to turn to other things to make a place for themselves in this world. They are such good guys and they deserve a chance!

No comments: